16 October 2011

My Public Opinion

First of all, go read this article from the Star Tribune's op-ed page.

For those of you too lazy to actually read it, the above article is a piece by an old-school Republican from Minnesota with the awesome name Wheelock Whitney about why he plans to vote against the up-coming marriage amendment. It was a well reasoned, well written piece, that didn't get too defensive and didn't rely on name-calling, which I think is always a good thing. Regardless of the expressed sentiments, what really struck me about the piece was this statement:

"Personal moral values and religious beliefs are appropriately taught in families and houses of worship. But in a free society we must allow others to live according to the dictates of their own consciences."

That statement pretty much sums up how I feel about politics, and also religion, and just opinions in general. If I had to sum it up in one sentence I would probably say that I believe in respect.  I do not care what you believe, whatever it may be, and however detestable I may find it, I will respect your right to hold those beliefs as long as you respect my beliefs and don't try to impose yours upon me. In return, I will try not to impose my belief system upon you. 



I really hate it when people try to impose their personal morals on others, which happens in lots of different ways, but I see most prominently reflected in politics. Any values based issue I see as one group trying to force their value system on other people. Gay marriage is a good example of this. So is abortion. My feeling about the issue is that if you don't agree with abortion, don't get an abortion, but also don't make it impossible for anyone else to get an abortion. You don't know them, or their situation, or their belief system, so don't try to make their decisions for them.


I think that every person has the right to choose what to do with their own life, within certain constraints, and nobody else should make those decisions for them or take that choice away. You are free to live your life however you want, so long as you don't try to make me live my life the same way you live yours.

I know that some of you, imaginary readers, are shaking your head at me right now and saying "well, under this system, isn't all government an imposition of a belief system? Are you really a crazy anarchist/libertarian who doesn't believe in any government at all?"


The answer to the first question is that I guess that's true, but for me, it really only extends to issues that I see stemming from religious/moral beliefs. I know very little about political science/theory, and I mostly try to not think to hard about government, because I usually end up confused about the whole thing, so I'm not here to make any grand statements about the nature of government. I am possibly the least qualified person to do that.


As for the second question, I generally think government is necessary for the oversight and regulation of society, foreign policy, and the economy, but if I were to give you a reason why it's necessary, it probably wouldn't make a lot of sense (see above re: qualifications) so I'll just leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment