29 October 2011

Normal Differentials

I made you another graph, imaginary readers. This one is more silly than the previous ones, which weren't particularly serious, so if you don't understand this one, that's okay; I barely do, and I made it. This one came about because of a conversation I had with [Princess Leia Vampire] the other day.

I ran into her at the student union between classes, and we talked for a while, which was nice, because I don't see her all that often. Anyways, in the middle of an idle conversation probably about how she still needs to give me back the comics I lent her last month, which she is now holding hostage, she said that she can't be friends with normal people because when talking to a normal person, if she says something like 'That building looks like a hippopotamus,' the normal person gets weirded out. (Side note: Koltoff Hall really does look like a walrus.)

Once you see the walrus, you can't unsee it

It was at that point that I remembered why we've been friends since the sixth grade: we were both rather strange children, and we are still both rather weird (read: geeky/nerdy/strange).

Anyways, we then decided to graphically depict how difficult it is to talk to normal people (read: people who are different than us). Thus, the above graph came to be. It shows the weirdness of a situation as a function of the normalcy of the people being talked to.

Taken to the extreme, this illustrates the situation where I try to talk to someone who is just so normal that we have nothing to say to one another outside of basic pleasantries, after which we descend into awkward silence because we are so different, we can't relate on any level that isn't completely superficial.

For example, this is one of the reasons that I haven't had a real conversation with [Random Roommate #2] in the two months we've been living together. We simply have nothing to talk about because we have so little in common. In reality, this is probably because we are different people, and not because of a differential in the normalcy of us, but it's more fun to say that it has to do with her being too normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment